Poppy Seed Ham Sammies

Growing up my mom and dad would make ham sandwiches and freeze them for busy days when we were all on the run. I loved them. They had lots of onions, mustard, butter and SWISS CHEESE!! I have started to make them and throw them in the freezer for quick meals.

Poppy Seed Ham Sammies
2 sticks butter
3 tsp. poppy seeds
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp. mustard
1 onion, chopped
2 pkg. hamburger buns
1 lb. sliced ham
16 slices of Swiss cheese

Use a large skillet on medium heat to melt butter. Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard and chopped onions. (Let’s be honest, I don’t measure the ingredients. I add till it looks good.) Sauté till onions are cooked. Add poppy seeds. Remove from heat.

While the onions are cooking, layout buns. Place ham and cheese on one side of the half bun.

If you are Aldi’s shoppers, the ham they sell there is perfect for this recipe. I put four slices on each sammy.

Once the onion-poppy seed mixture is done, add it to the other half of the bun.

I like a lot of toppings. It makes an ooey-gooey mess when you make them.

To freeze, you have several options. I now just put each sandwich in an individual freezer bag. My parents would wrap the sandwiches in saran wrap and put the sandwiches into the bun bags to freeze. You do what works for you.
To cook, microwave for 1 minute to a minute 30 seconds on medium high heat. You can also bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven on 425 heat. I would recommend thawing the sandwiches for the oven and transfer the sandwich to aluminum foil wrap.
ENJOY!!

Comments

1. Pam says

Now they look great and is my kind of sandwich! Great idea with freezing them and I love the combo of ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

2. Katie says

I never thought about freezing sandwiches (even as I ate storebought frozen sausage mcmuffins yesterday.) That is such a great idea! I am always trying to find easy lunches to take to school with me, and those would be great – just microwave them when I get there.

and a great way to use lunch meat or buns that are about to go rotten!

3. Letherton says

yummy

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
    Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

4. Linda www.mykindofcooking.com says

I love poppy seeds! I am going to make these and freeze them like you suggested. Thanks!

5. Linda www.mykindofcooking.com says

6. Linda www.mykindofcooking.com says

7. Allison Vonderheide says

Leah – I make something similar but don't freeze. We call them Tammy's Hammy Sammy's (cousin Tammy's recipe). We use the hawaiian rolls, put the ham and swiss (or roast beef and cheddar or turkey and provolone) on the rolls, then put the tops on. Melt 1 stick butter, 2 tbls worchestire, 1 tsp. dijon mustard, and 1 tsp onion salt. Mix together then pour over sandwiches and bake. I put them in a 9×13. The butter makes the bread like toasted cheese – they are huge hits. I love the idea of freezing yours! Will definitely be giving it a try!

8. Hannah says

These were some of the best things I've ever tasted. SOOO good…this recipe will be saved and used for many occasions. hilarious though…I can't wait to tell you how I did it. You're going to laugh!

Trackbacks