Fair Favorite: Pig to Pork Burgers

DSC_0109 Meet Robin. This is Boo’s pig that he showed at my county fair in Illinois thanks to Uncle M. Uncle M raises pigs with his brother J.DSC_0108Robin liked to run and scurry. But, since pigs have no sweat glands (so sweating like a pig makes no sense to me) he got hot and tired quickly.DSC_0114So, Boo got to spray him down for a cool down after practicing. Boo really likes to use hoses.DSC_0117Not so sure Robin liked it so close. I guess he prefers a mist.   DSC_0121 Even pigs like to eat after a workout. I am sure he was famished!DSC_0122 Saying goodbye before the big show day in the morning!DSC_0126 I wasn’t surprised to find Boo and Robin in the wash racks at the fair when I arrived. Boo actually got up at 5:30 in the morning to ride with Uncle M to go get Robin and take him to the fair.  I WAS SHOCKED!!DSC_0129 One last spray before leaving the wash racks. I struggle getting out of the shower in the morning too. I feel your pain Robin!DSC_0132 Uncle M and J were helping Boo as he prepared to go out into the ring for his and Robin’s big debut! Boo was really worried about opening the gate. So, much that he asked Uncle M about every 10 seconds if he was going to do it for him.DSC_0149Boo did momma proud. He got Robin right in front of the judge so he could see him. I almost cried. Almost.DSC_0152 We came home with a red ribbon for the live show. Woo-HOO $44 for Boo’s 529 account. DSC_0153 Time for the reinforcements. Uncle M helped get Robin to the trailer. Yeah, I said trailer. DSC_0156 Robin was also going to be judged on how is meat quality. While it may sound sad to tell your kid your going to show your pig, and then they are going to kill it, it is the facts of life. That is the one good thing about raising kids on a farm. They do not lack knowledge of where food comes from when it shows up at dinner. It isn’t sad, it’s life.

So, onto the pork burgers…DSC_0431 Some of you may say, pork burgers? While it is not a widely eaten burger, it is by far one of my favorite treats at the fair. I make them often at home too. I start with one pound of ground pork, not to be confused with sausage. I don’t want any preseasoning in my pork!DSC_0435 I add several shakes of Tabasco, chipotle Tabasco to be exact, Coriander, and Grill Mates Mesquite. I add till it looks good. I have no idea what that means, but my guess would be 2 tsp of mesquite and 1/2 teaspoon of coriander. I also add a few twists of sea salt and peppercorns from my grinders.DSC_0432Of course I add some veggies. 1 stalk of celery, half a green pepper, 2 scallions, and 2 cloves of garlic.DSC_0437

DSC_0439I use my mix and masher from Pampered Chef to get everything all mixed up. It works great, but after a while, I just stick my hands in the big mess.DSC_0441  When I process the veggies, I squeeze the excess juice out.DSC_0445 I get about five patties from one pound of meat. The kids and I don’t need to eat quarter pounders.DSC_0448Any burger is naked without cheese…I live Havarti, The hubby likes cojack and one American for the kids.DSC_0451 We are still enjoying some amazingly good bicolor sweet corn from our Amish hook up. I think I might need a 12-step program to stop eating this corn.DSC_0457Doc wanted a bite, and Princess might be the right person to offer it.

Now that is a hunk of meat Monday!

HOMM2small

image

Comments

I heart them too! What is the black utensil I see in your bowl ready to mix? I've seen it somewhere else too. I love kitchen thingies and hate to be missing out on something cool!

It's always a bit sad on auction day. I never actually had to go through it, but we do raise feeder cattle. We may get a taste of it (oooo bad pun), in a couple years when our oldest is old enough to show at our fair.

2. Nicole says

I love porkburgers. I can't believe how many people haven't had them before. I can't believe you don't use the secret pork producers seasoning for your burgers! :)

3. Leah @ Beyer Beware says

OH, I have the secret seasoning. I make mom and dad get it for me. I just new not everyone would have access to it:)

4. Heather @ 3 kids and lots of pigs says

Gotta love pork burgers. Great job of explaining how the pork ends up on our tables and cute pictures of Boo!

5. Country Gal says

Yeah for Boo! My pampered chef mix and mash is one of my favorite gadgets! And what's this about a top secret pork producers seasoning?! Come on – somebody start talking!

6. Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet says

Yum! This sounds delish! I've never made pork burgers before, but I bet it is yummy!

7. Four Ransom's says

Oh my goodness…you just made me SUPER hungry!!!! Thats all I eat at our county fair…pork burgers!!

8. CoffeeLovinMom says

You make it look so easy – yum!
    Please make a visit to my blog and see the award I gave you!
    coffelovinmom.blogspot.com

9. Leah @ Beyer Beware says

So, the secret pork producers seasoning is the famous Iroquois County Pork Producers seasoning. Sold for sure in Gilman, IL at the local supermarket. And if you know where that is, then I guess you will get to indulge in the bestest seasoning for pork. Ever.

10. Jet says

Oh,your blog is very nice .I really like it ^^!

..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥.
    ♥..♥  ╔══╦══╗╔╦══╗  ♥..♥
    ♥..♥  ╚═╗║╔╗║║║╔╗║  ♥..♥
    ♥..♥  ╔═╝║║║║║║║║║  ♥..♥
    ♥..♥  ║╔═╣║║║║║║║║  ♥..♥
    ♥..♥  ║╚═╣╚╝║║║╚╝║  ♥..♥
    ♥..♥  ╚══╩══╝╚╩══╝  ♥..♥
    ♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥♥..♥

———————————-
    Welcome to my websites : In there where have a lot of wallpapers, themes for desktop , for mobile and themes for media ^^!

11. Katie says

WOW Leah I love this post and I love reading all the great feedback you are getting. Understanding where our food comes from is such a great lesson for kids and I think farm kids don't know how great they have it until they grow up and realize the life lessons they grew up with some people never learned. Thanks for all the photos and great recipe.