Hunk of Meat Monday: Croque-Madame Casserole

Breakfast for supper. One of my favorites. Last week, my blog pal over at Krista’s Kitchen featured her Croque-Madame Casserole. I couldn’t wait to try it!

I have to admit, I of course made some small adjustments to her recipe. One change was the cheese. She suggest using Gouda. However, I had just stopped by Fair Oaks Farms in Northwestern Indiana and got some butterkase cheese. I just had to use it in this casserole.

I grated it all up.

Then make about two cups of white sauce. I took four tablespoons of butter, melted it down in a sauce pan and added four tablespoons of flour and combined into a rue. Cook for about one minute. Slowly add 2 cups of milk and whisk together. I then added salt and pepper to taste and 1/2 teaspoon of dried mustard.

Pour half the white sauce in the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan.

Layer four slices of bread on top.

Layer sliced ham on top of the bread. I used a whole 10 ounce package. Use half on the first layer of bread.

Then layer half of the cheese on top of the ham. Repeat bread, ham and cheese again.

Pour the remainder of the sauce over top of the second layer of cheese.

Looks yummy doesn’t it?

Bake for 30 minutes on 400 degrees. Right before it is done baking, fry up six eggs. Pull the casserole out of the oven and cut into six pieces. Place one fried egg on top of each piece. Top with a slice of swiss cheese and bake for a few more minutes to melt cheese.

Let sit for about five minutes before serving.

Enjoy the cheesy goodness. We loved it!

What are you making this week? Got a good meaty recipe?

Link on up and grab the button to let your folks where you are sharing your recipe.

Hunk of Meat Mondays
Copy and Paste Code

Comments

1. Tina at akagramma says

Oh my goodness! This looks so good! We are hardly together as a family for breakfast, so I cook a lot of my breakfast meals at night! I can not wait to try this..I believe it'll be another family favorite! Thank you for sharing!

You are making me want to stroll down the streets of Paris! They serve Croque-Monsieurs like we sell Big Macs here. I loved those sandwiches! They were sooo yum and easy to walk with as I took in all the loveliness of Paris each time I visited. This does not quite fit my diet, but I might have to sneak it in the menu anyway! Thanks for the idea!

3. Medifast Coupons says

Well I sure know what we are having for dinner tonight, breakfast for dinner is always a crowd pleaser in my house. Kids aren't fussy about eggs, but I think I can sneak them in with this recipe, will be hidden in all that cheese. Awesome recipe to try, thanks.

4. Erin @ EKat's Kitchen says

This looks fantastic! I love the idea of every single ingredient in your recipe… and am intrigued by butterkase cheese. Plus, I also love the idea of Hunk of Meat Mondays, and will plan to link up :) Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck this week.

5. Miz Helen says

Hi Leah,
    I am so happy to see you. This dish looks amazing and I would really like to try it. I need to run in The Cottage and bring out my Chicken for your party. Thank you so much for sharing on Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

6. Lorie Shewbridge says

I have never seen anything like this before, but it looks delicious!! What a great idea for a Sunday brunch. I have never heard of butterkase cheese, what a wonderful thing to be living in the midwest with all those dairy farms and all that fabulous cheese. YUMMY!
    Thank you so much for linking up with our new Recipe Swap Meme. Hope to see you again next week.