Hunk of Meat Monday: Crock Pot Lasagna - Beyer Beware

Hunk of Meat Monday: Crock Pot Lasagna

It’s Monday again. Another week back to the grind. Another week trying to figure out what I am going to do for supper.
For HOMM, it is crock pot lasagna.
One time saving tip and recipe focusing thing I do, is start Monday with a main protein that can used again later. Starting Monday with two pounds of ground hamburger. One pound is going into crock pot lasagna, the other to stroganoff.

Brown the meat with a whole onion and two cloves of garlic. Both diced.

Separate the beef and brown over a medium low heat.

When the beef is completely cooked, drain the grease off and set aside. I will be measuring out two cups of beef for the lasagna.

Grab a jar of spaghetti sauce and can of diced tomatoes. Brands don’t matter. Added veggies don’t either. I am partial to Red Gold since the tomatoes are grown right here in Indiana.

Mix the sauce and tomatoes together. Add 1/2 cup of water as well.

While the spaghetti sauce has seasoning, I add a few to kick it up just a notch. 1/2 teaspoon of parsley and Italian seasoning each.

I also tossed 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in for good cause.

Mix in the meat and some sauted mushrooms if you are the mushroom type.

Two, steps down, cheese to go. Grab some goodies. Ricotta. A 15 or 16 ounce container.

A five or six ounce container of Parmesan cheese.

Mix the ricotta together with 1/4 cup of milk and one egg.

Mix together until smooth.

Then add two cups of shredded mozzarella and the shredded Parmesan. Mix completely.

Now for the layering. Start by putting a heaping cup of meat sauce on the bottom of your crock pot.

Then grab your lasagna noodles. I had standard, old noodles. Not the no boil kind. I didn’t cook them. Put them in uncooked. It really is that easy.

With my oval crock, I can fit a full length one down the middle. I break the other ones in pieces and fit them around the edges.

Layer a third of your cheese mixture over the noodles, spreading out evenly.

The pour about a cup and a half over the cheese and start the noodles again. You are going to have three layers of noodles and cheese. Start with sauce. End with sauce.

No, since I am a bit partial to the dairy industry, I grabbed more mozzarella and layer it over the top of the last layer of sauce.

Cook on low for about 4 hours. Like most things in a crock pot, it can be fudged on the time. I think ours might have gone a bit more like 5 hours. Just makes the cheese a bit more brown.

I cut the lasagna into about 10-12 pieces.

Perfection! And of course I made Italian Cheesy Loaf.

Got a hunk of meat recipe? Do share!

Hunk of Meat Mondays

Copy and Paste Code

Linked to

Comments

1. The Wife of a Dairyman says:

I am so going to try that! My mom makes the best lasagna so I never try to duplicate, but this is completely different and I love my slow cooker:) All goes perfect with a glass of Cab too!

2. Farmchick says:

Looking good, as usual. I haven't tried this before, but will likely now. Thanks again for another useful recipe.

3. Seriously I can't wait to try Miss Leah! I have a NEW slow cooker to try this out in this week. I linked up turkey garden tomato spaghetti this week.
    Katie

4. Leontien says:

ohhhh i didn't know you could use your slow cooker for that! thats great!

Thanks for the info
    Leontien

5. Anonymous says:

New to your blog. This looks good and sounds like a super fast (to prepare) meal. I JUST assembled it in my crock pot and it should be ready as hubby walks in in the door. Thanks for the recipe.

Jennifer (Beyer) Gresch

6. This looks so good. Can't wait to try it.

7. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING says:

Thanks so much for linking to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS ROMANTIC DINNERS! We appreciate it! Don't forget to come back next week for a St. Patrick's Celebration "GREEN FOOD"!

8. Melinda says:

I'm always looking for a new crock pot recipe and this looks great! I've got it bookmarked!

9. Brandie says:

This recipe looks really, really good! I am loving any recipe that I can make in my Crock Pot!! Just wanted to say thanks so much for your comments over on my blog. I could have sworn I was following ya on Google but apparently I wasn't. I have corrected that error!! I'm following you now :)

10. Love the crock pot on Mondays! I did an extra-big meatloaf yesterday, which will come in handy later this week as left overs.

11. Miz Helen says:

Your Crock Pot Lasagna looks so good. It is a great idea to cook it in the Crock Pot. Thank you so much for sharing on Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

12. Miz Helen says:

Opps…I left my Red Beans N Rice twice…oh well you want another bowl of bean right?

13. Samantha says:

This looks great. We've been eating the same old things around our house and I need to change it up this next week-I will surely make this. :)

14. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says:

I've been meaning to make this, I just haven't yet. I love your picures!

Hey, do you want to submit this to Presto Pasta Nights this week? I am hosting and there are details on my blog. I'd love to add it to the round up on Friday, thanks!

15. Christina says:

I have seen crock pot lasagna before but never tried it. I definitely need to, I love the crock pot!