Mini Poppy Seed Ham Sandwiches on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

It’s not a secret that I am not from Indiana, but I can’t help to be catching basketball fever. Not that I needed much coaxing, but I did need some coaching to pull for an Indiana team. As it has been said, “Welcome to Indiana basketball.” Can you name that movie??? We are definitely pulling for Butler over UCONN in the NCAA championship game at our house. And we are definitely going to be eating well while we watch!

Ham Sandwich Sliders on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
To fully enjoy good basketball, good food is in order. Last week, I had some great people link up some tasty recipes that I am highly recommending for game night.

Jill over at Boys, Bovines, and Blessings has a fantastic Pepsi Pork Chop recipe. I managed to pull this off for a post soccer game this weekend by setting the crock pot on high and cooking for four hours. I added some mashed potatoes to the plate, and the kids were scraping their plates clean.

Ethne over at WOM:MOM made a “can eat in one sitting” ham dip that is also a must make. It is a five ingredient or less recipe which always means keeper. I added 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce to her recipe. Mainly because I am a little obsessed with the stuff.

And finally, anyone who loves jalapeño poppers has to try Desi’s, from Steak N Potatoes Kinda Girl, poppers. My husband is going to be excited to be seeing these come out of the oven tomorrow night!

Now, many of you have seen my freezer ham sammies, and do I have the slider version for you this week at Hunk of Meat Monday.

Start by chopping or grating an onion. I use the Pampered Chef food chopper. I get a pretty fine mince.

Onion Half
Mincing onions with Pampered Chef Chopper
Minced onionMelt a stick of butter and then add the onions.

Melting Butter

onions sauting in butterAdd three tablespoons of Dijon mustard to the onions and butter, stir together.

Mustard in onions and butterThen pour in two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.

Onions with worcestershire sauceFinally, add three teaspoons of poppy seeds and simmer until onions are soft.

Onion, butter, mustard and poppy seed mixtureGrab a package of Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls and cut the entire package in half length wise as one large piece.

King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
rolls cut in half
Place the roll bottoms in a aluminum foil lined 13 by 9 pan. Spread the onion mixture on the entire bottom. You will want to save about 1/4 of the mixture back.

onion mixture spread on rollsGrab some shaved hams, about a half a pound, and seven to eight slices of swiss cheese. Put the ham on top of the onions and then add the slices of cheese.

Ham and Cheese

ham layer

cheese layerAdd the roll tops after the cheese.

roll toppedIf you have any onion mixture left, spread it over top of the rolls.

onions and butter spread over ham sammiesCover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to use. Bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes, covered with foil.

Ham Sandwich Sliders on Hawaiian Sweet RollsWhen you remove from the oven, slice down the roll lines.
Ham Sandwich on Hawaiian Sweet Roll
Hawaiian Sweet Roll Ham Sammie Recipe
Do you not like mustard? Or want to make these sandwiches with turkey or chicken? Check out these chicken sammies on Hawaiian rolls with onions and peppers.

Mini Chicken Sandwiches on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

Comments

1. Jeanette says

This looks like the perfect thing to add to my spring/fall planting/harvest repetoire meal menu! I know a dozen hungry guys who would love this!

2. The Wife of a Dairyman says

Oh that melted cheese! That sandwich looks delicious! Perfect for a party for sure:)

3. Erin @ Art + Food + Life says

I could have never thought of this on my own. Looks delicious too! Thanks for sharing.

4. Miz Helen says

Good Morning Leah,
    Those little sandwiches look so yummy and a great dish for entertaining. Thank you for hosting and have a great week!

5. Farmchick says

I love your recipes. They are REAL things I can cook. lol The sandwiches look great and thanks for the links.

6. Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead says

Mmmh, I always loved that Hawaiian bread…but I guess I will either have to figure out how to make it myself or just go without until we finally move back to the US. These sammies look really tasty though!

7. VanderbiltWife says

YUMMMM. My aunt makes something very similar but I'd never gotten the recipe. Definitely bookmarking this one!

8. Mo 'Betta says

These are so good! I'm always amazed that just a few simple ingredients can make some of the tastiest things!

9. Robyn says

We love these sandwiches at our house, too. Aren't they the best! Now I'm craving them!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe in this week's Mingle Monday!

10. Vicki V says

I make a similar sandwich to yours, and they are divine! Only difference is that my recipe uses dijon mustard instead of worcestershire sauce. So quick, so tasty!

11. ButterYum says

Oh yes, I know this recipe very, very well. I even blogged about it not too long ago. These little sandwiches are always a hit!

ButterYum

12. Swathi says

These are indeed game time favorite, looks dleicious. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

13. Desi says

Thanks so much for the feature! I hope you and your hubby enjoy those poppers :)

I linked up Katie Lee's Logan County Burgers!

14. Kristen says

Those sandwiches look awesome. My mother made one that was similar when I was a kid and I haven't thought about it in years.

15. Tina says

Just stopped by to tell you that I made your Sammies for supper tonight and my family LOVED them! Sweet and tangy…they were the perfect sandwich! Thank you for sharing!!!

16. erica says

How far in advance do you think i can make and refrigerate? If i assemble them ob a thursday night and cook them satrday morning you think they will be okay, or do i need to wait til friday?

17. Leah @ Beyer Beware says

Poppy seeds are not necessary. I think they would be just fine without them.

And I think if you make them two days in advance, they will be just fine. Actually, maybe even better because the flavors will have soaked in! May need to bake a few minutes longer, but go for it!

18. Anonymous says

if you aren't in the states google hawaiian rolls for the bread machine..I used those! Very darn good..thanks for the recipe!

19. Jessica says

Hi! These look so delicious and I would love to try them! Do you know of an alternative to the mustard in the recipe? I'm unfortunately allergic. :(

20. momtoabowhead says

I made this recipe recently and my family LOVED it so much. I'm trying it today with leftover turkey. I'm sure it will still work great. I can't get enough of these little sandwiches. :)

Thanks so much for sharing such a delicious recipe.

21. Anonymous says

I just wanted to tell you that I found you through Pinterest earlier this week, and I made these sammis tonight for my fiance and I, and WE LOVE THEM!!! such an awesome quick meal after a long day or a lazy weekend! Thanks so much for sharing :)

22. Anonymous says

I made these for a lazy Sunday lunch today and was a little disappointed considering all the positive posts above. The flavors were far too strong even though we all like the ingredients separately.

23. Anonymous says

My mother-in-law has been making these since I met her! One of my favorite things she makes. She has always called them "sliders" I don't care what they are called- the're flippin' good! If you're looking for something new to try, I totally suggest making them!

24. Daddy Knaus says

Okay I don't know why the others thought this was disappointing. I just made these and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! Oh my gosh it was soo good. Maybe they didn't use a good mustard? I used mustard that I sampled at Trader Joes. Wow, great recipe… Bravo..

25. Hannah says

I really love this recipe, although I had a hard time making it healthy without sacrificing taste. The only thing I changed though was I used Dijon Mustard with Chardonnay (yum!!), deli turkey and a round hawaiian loaf, which actually turned out great because it came with it's own disposable pan! Will TOTALLY try this again! Thanks!

26. Anonymous says

Pinned these to my pinterest account a few weeks back. Made them today for family. they were a hit we ate the whole thing. thank you!

27. chriscookin says

those look amazing!! i can't wait to try them. fyi–be careful of the surface you use for your food chopper. you want a cutting board that will show knife/cut marks otherwise, you may dull the blades! =)

28. Anonymous says

i found your blog via pinterest. i'm now making these for the 2nd time in a week. i've made a lot of recipes over the last year that i've "pinned" but my hubby and kids say this one is the BEST!

29. Rachel says

Found these on Pinterest, and they are currently in the oven…they smell HEAVENLY! And they were super fast to make too. Love my Pampered Chef chopper as well! :) Thank you!

30. Kristy says

Hi Leah, I found this recipe on Pinterest. I have made these sandwiches twice now. This is a new favorite at our house! I followed your recipe except I didn’t use the poppyseeds. Thank you so much for sharing! There are amazing!!

31. says

I have made the Poppyseed and ham and cheese sandwiches two times, plus I have a pan in the refrigerator waiting for my family to arrive from Maryland !!! They are to die for !! Thanks

32. Cassie says

I’m reading this post basketball season… however, I think with these treats, you would make a great Hoosier! :)

33. says

These look and sound SO good. I’d use provolone, probably. I’ll bet they freeze well … easy make-ahead dish for parties or the holidays.

34. Jill says

I bet they would be great for camping as well. Make ahead, keep in the foil warm up, tada lunch!
    Found on Pinterest!

35. Alexis says

I know I’m the lucky millionth person to say this, but these were FABULOUS and the whole family swooned over them (even my picky 7 year old!) Thank you for a keeper!! :)

36. R says

I saw this recipe on Food network last week. Homemade in America. Some lady in Oklahoma is making a lot of money selling these.

37. Sommer says

I’m one of the few that did not like them either. Disappointed, but thank you for sharing. Husband did not like them either, and we are not picky eaters.

38. Bethany K. says

I love this recipe and these sandwiches are SO good, but I have a problem with the onion/butter mixture not getting anywhere close to as smooth as yours. I used Grey Poupon from the fridge, but I’ve also tried it at room temperature, and the mustard NEVER mixes fully with the butter/onions. What kind of butter and mustard do you use?

39. says

I’ve made these four times since finding your recipe and they’re always a hit. And I’ve recently become obsessed with these Hawaiian rolls so I used them for pretty much any hot sandwich I make now. Thanks for the recipe!

40. Karen says

I am so happy I found this recipe. It is a total favorite with everyone around here. My son does not like onions but it still works. I just cut the sauce recipe in 3rds and he gets his without the onions. So everyone is happy. Yay!!!!!

41. says

I am going to be making 150 of these for a wedding, and was wondering if making them the night before and putting in refrigerator overnight if they would get soggy?

42. says

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

43. Sandy says

I made these sandwiches for my housewarming party and they were a huge hit. So many people asked for the recipe. It was so simple. I will definitely add to my list of go to potluck recipes.

44. says

I blog quite often and I trulyy apprerciate your information.
    The article has truly peaked my interest. I
    aam going to bookmark your blog and keep checking for new details aout
    once a week. I opted in for your Feed too.

45. says

I think this is among the most significant information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general
    things, The web site style is great, the articles is really nice
    : D. Good job, cheers

46. says

At last, For Advance SEO Noizy – Oyster also apply these
    eight techniques to the above methods to provide best
    services to their clients like Page Titles, Meta Descriptions,
    Meta Tags, URL Structure, Body Tags (H1, H2,
    H3, H4, etc. ” The answer is search engine optimization, just not in the same way it used to be done. Oftentimes, newcomers to SEO will target keywords that are too broad, too vague or totally unrelated to the Web site’s content.

47. says

Please let me know if you’re looking for a auhotr for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an email if interested. Cheers!

Trackbacks

1. [...] The possiblities are endless. You can use any meat or veggie and condiments. My family has a traditional slider that we have on New Years made with corned beef.  (I will post that recipe another day).  Oh and here is the link for the more complicated version. I will absolutely be trying it.  http://beyerbeware.net/2011/04/hunk-of-meat-monday-game-time-favorites.html [...]

2. [...] I totally meant to post the week’s menu plan this morning – but sick babies ruled my day today.  Here’s what my week’s dinner menu is looking like. Fried Pork Chops, Great Granny Brown’s Mashed Potatoes, Beans, Mama’s Buttermilk Biscuits Corndogs Bacon Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Firecracker Chicken Legs, Pasta Salad, Avocado Cream Eggplant Ham & Bean Soup (with leftover ham/hambone from Thanksgiving) Best Ever Brunswick Stew (made with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!) Baked Ham & Swiss Sammies  [...]