Hokey Pokey Cupcakes

My kids love to help me in the kitchen. A lot of times I have knives and hot pans and little time. So, when I can take the time to let the kids help me, I do. We made cupcakes over the weekend, and Boo was eager to help. We made some very yummy strawberry inspired hokey pokey cupcakes.

I started with a French Vanilla cake mix and made it as directed on the back of the box.

Boo was happy to help make the cake mix.

Then it was on to the filling of the cupcakes. I let Boo fill them up. They need to be filled 2/3 of the way up. For a six year old boy, this was a lot of focusing.

Bake according to the package directions. Let the cupcakes cool for 15 minutes and then poke the cupcakes with a fork several time about half way down.

Heat one cup of water till boiling and add one 3 ounce package of strawberry jello. Stir until dissolved. Pour a spoonful over each cupcake.

Transfer to a jelly roll sheet and refrigerate for 3 hours. Grab a container of your favorite flavor of icing. Mine happens to be Duncan Hines Whipped fluffy white and chocolate icing. It is life changing. I used the fluffy white for these.

If you have tools to make it look pretty, know yourself out. I had a butter knife. I then quartered some strawberries for the top as well.

The kids loved them and they were fairly easy to make. Boo was so proud of himself for helping. I am guessing we will be making them again before strawberry season is over!

Comments

What a great recipe for kids to help create! I am going to have to get me one of those scoops! I use a small measuring cup, but those look more user-friendly!

2. The Country Cook says

Boo did beautifully! It ain't always to let kids help but you are an awesome Momma to let him give it a try!! They turned out gorgeous!!

3. teresafalk says

Looks yummy! I'm jealous that it's already strawberry season where you are. I'll have to try making these with my nephews.

4. Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg says

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I am giving you a blog award today! The post will be up in about an hour. Have a wonderful day! :)

5. Aimee says

Yum, I make a jello cake in a 13×9 pan, never thought to do cupcakes. I use Cool WHip, but frosting is sooooo yummy :) Love your blog.
    -Aimee

6. Mandy says

Mmmm…I love strawberries! I would like to invite you to share your recipes on Totally Tasty Tuesdays. Thanks!
    mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com