Hunk of Meat Monday: BLT Salad

Recipe #2 complete in the Real Farmwives of America and Gooseberry Patch in the kitchen series. I made Kathleen’s BLT salad from the Gooseberry Patch Farmers’ Market Favorites cookbook.

And it was complete with lettuce from our garden we planted a few weeks back.

I cut it at the ground and brought it in to be washed. I do not have a salad spinner, so I just laid it out on paper towels to dry out.

Now, comes my favorite hunk of meat of them all…bacon.

Now the recipe was for two salads and I was going to be feeding this to at least four, so I doubled the recipe. I used about 10 slices of thinly sliced bacon that I cut into pieces to fry up in a skillet. When it is completely fried up, spoon it out of the pan onto paper towels and let cool.

Now, onto the dressing. I must admit. I adjusted a tad. So mix together about 4 tablespoons of mayo with 2 teaspoons of vinegar. The recipe called for seafood seasoning, but I had an open envelope of Hidden Valley ranch mix. So, I added about 1/2 teaspoon of the ranch mix and stirred together. (It was thick right before I served, so I splashed about a tablespoon of milk into the dressing to then it out.)

I always have cherry tomatoes in the house. Our little princess is obsessed with cherry tomatoes. So, I cut the little tomatoes in half and tossed on the salad. I used about a cup of tomatoes.

I then put the salad in the fridge till it was time to serve. Right before serving, I also added a cup of Italian blend cheese, the bacon and tossed.

Once I had tossed it I add the dressing and tossed again.

It was yummy! Definitely will be making this again this summer.

What do you have cooking for Hunk of Meat Monday? Share your link!

Hunk of Meat Mondays

Gooseberry Patch gave me the Farmers’ Market Favorites cookbook free of charge. After I prepare 10 recipes I will have a free cookbook to give away to one of my readers.

Comments

1. Miz Helen says

Hi Leah,
    Your Salad looks great, I would love it with all that bacon, yummy! Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

2. NC Sue says

Thank you for hosting.
    I didn't post a meaty recipe this week: it was vegetabally – but I wanted to let you know that I’m a follower, and this hop is found on a page on my site that lists more than 250 hops, memes, and photo challenges… some for each day of the week. Check under the header for the link to that page. I’ve also just started a BlogFrog community that focuses on hops, carnivals, memes, and photo challenges. Go to http://theblogfrog.com/1504201 to visit & participate.
    I hope you’ll visit me soon. I follow back!
    NCSue

3. Emily @Zweber Farms says

YUM! This looks like a great recipe for those hot summer days. I will even fry up a couple pounds of bacon and freeze, so I can have a really no cook day!

I am jealous that you have lettuce in your garden. We have been so wet that we are just getting our garden started.

4. Robyn says

I'm DROOLING!

Thanks so much for sharing this in this week's Mingle Monday. Can't wait to make it.

5. Sarah says

By the way – I canot seem to get the "Hunk of Meath Mondays" button to show up. What am I doing wrong?

6. Kristin says

this salad sounds so good – probably because of the bacon. ;) can't wait to give it a try this weekend!

thanks for linking up to mangia mondays!

-kristin