Crock Pot Maple Ham - Beyer Beware

Hunk of Meat Monday: Crock Pot Maple Ham

Have you heard it is National Pork Month? Nothing says “Happy Pork Month” like a big ole hunk of ham.

In the U.S., nearly 65 million pigs are raised each year. Sounds like a lot, right? Don’t worry, China has us beat with almost 300 million pigs. Interested in knowing more about where animals are raised, check out this graph from The Economist.

Last weeks linky party also was a huge hit for pork recipes! The most clicked on recipes were all made with meat from none other than porky himself.

Savage Chili with pork sausage from Aunt Nubby’s Kitchen

Fried Pork Tacos with pork shoulder from Happy Homemaker Cindy

(I use hot dogs made from pork & poultry)

So, to make my ham. Start with a spiral cut ham. I still had one in my freezer, so I put it in the fridge overnight. Then place it flat side down in your crock pot. Cover with about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and then pour 1/2 cup of REAL maple syrup over top.

Then pour 1 cup of pineapple juice over top.

Then cook your ham on low for 4-8 hours. It will be heated through at 4 hours but there is plenty of juice if you pop it in before heading to work.

Carefully pull the ham out. It will be falling off the bone. I promise you!

I made up the Corn Chowdah Mac ‘n Cheese from Rachael Ray’s magazine this month to go with the ham. I substituted sweet potatoes for baking, but otherwise followed the directions. It was yummy! And had bacon top. The perfect match to the ham.

Plus, we had plenty of leftovers! Which means easier meals all week! Yay!

Crock Pot Maple Ham

Crock Pot Maple Ham

Ingredients

• 1 spiral cut ham
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup of pineapple juice

Instructions

1. Place ham in the crock pot, flat side down.
  2. Cover ham with brown sugar and then pour syrup and juice over the ham.
  3. Cook on low for 4-8 hours. The ham will be heated through in 4 hours but has plenty of fluids to go longer.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

So, you cooking up any pork this week? If not, link up anyway. Can’t wait to see your hunks!
Hunk of Meat Mondays

Comments

1. Renae @ How to Have it All says:

Thank you for the linky! I love my crockpot but never thought of putting a ham in one! Looks yummy!

2. Anita Stafford says:

Your ham looks so good! Don't you love to walk into the house after the crock pot has been on? Thanks so much for featuring the Savage Chili! I have shared Chicken and Dumplings Bake. Thank you for hosting!

3. Katie @Pinke Post says:

I've never used the real maple syrup or pineapple juice tricks! YUM. Thanks for hosting!

4. that ham looks fab! I am so making it this coming weekend!

5. Crystal Cattle says:

That sounds delicious. The crock pot is going to get a lot more use out of it this year!

6. The ham looks and sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for hosting!

7. Emily @Zweber Farms says:

Yummy! I am going to make a ham for my son's 3rd birthday this weekend. I think this might be the recipe. Thank you for hosting Hunk of Meat Monday. And Happy Pork month. I posted a veggie and pork soup this week.

8. Miz Helen says:

Hi Leah,
    Your ham looks so delicious, we just love ham. I brought some great Pork Chops today. Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

9. Anonymous says:

do you think this will work ok w/boneless ham? I didn't realize it said boneless when I bought it. I imagine it will cook faster. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

10. Oh Yummy, Yummy. I think one of the most successful things you can cook in a crockpot is ham. This look wonderful. Thanks for hosting another great party. We love all things pork at our house.

11. Oh My Stars that looks Delicious! Please visit my blog..I have an award for you! <3 and Hugs!

12. That ham looks delicious!! I shared a recipe for vegetable beef soup. Thanks for hosting!

13. Heather @ 3 kids and lots of pigs says:

How much did your ham weigh? This looks yummy as always!!

14. This ham looks scrumptious!

15. Leon @ Organically Thought says:

I am celebrating pork month with different cuts from chops to tenderloin purchased from Stony Brook Farm Schoharie NY. We also just started a blog hop come check out our focused subjects Alimenary Tuesdays Blog Carnival

16. Trish @MomOnTimeout says:

I just linked up my Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken. Thank you for the invite :)

17. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

Trackbacks

1. [...] at Beyer Beware Hunk of Meat Monday Welcome! Join me as I journey through motherhood learning to balance work, raising kids and saving [...]