Oh I love of my crock pot Italian chicken. And then when I went to make it last week I didn’t have any banana peppers. Normally it seems I have four or five jars of my banana pepper rings. I guess I am a little obsessed with my Italian Beef too. So, I had to improvise with what I had on hand. And what did I have on hand along with my zesty Italian salad dressing seasoning? Roasted red bell peppers, artichokes and capers. Oh and of course wine and garlic. Because I literally own stock in both of those things.
I decided that these skinless, boneless chicken thighs were not going to go to waste after all. And yes I use thighs. I rarely use white meat. But if that is what you have, this recipe will work fine with chicken breasts too. Honestly, buy whatever is on sale. And please remember all chicken is hormone free (at least synthetic hormones) so don’t be fooled by the crazy marketing labels.
Back to the crock pot. After placing the chicken thighs in the bottom of the crock pot, the zesty Italian packet was sprinkled over top of the chicken. Then I drained the artichokes and layered them over the chicken followed by the drained peppers, and then four or five smashed cloves of garlic. Then it needs a half a cup of white wine. I used a Pinot Grigio I got from ClubW.
I love cooking with wine. It means I have basically a whole bottle left to drink. It is a sacrifice. But someone has to do it. I do it for my families need to have good food.
Cook the chicken on low in for about 6-8 hours. Then spoon the chicken and vegetables out of the crock pot. If you have capers, sprinkle a tablespoon or two over the chicken. I figured I would crave the acidic and salty flavor with the lack of banana peppers. If you don’t have them or don’t like them, leave them off.
Now, what to serve them with. Let me tell you, if you just cooked some angel hair, you could easily toss the pasta into the crock pot and combine together in the juices and serve immediately. My family however inhaled the chicken before pasta was ever made. Proof the chicken is finger licking good.
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 packet Zesty Italian dressing seasoning mix
- 1 jar of quartered artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers and garlic (or add 4 fresh garlic cloves separate from the peppers), drained
- ½ cup white wine such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- Place the chicken in the crock pot and cover in Italian seasoning packet.
- Pour drained artichokes, roasted red peppers and garlic over the chicken.
- Pour wine over top of the layers.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove from crock pot and sprinkle capers over top of the cooked chicken and vegetables.
- Serve over pasta.