There is this restaurant in western Indiana called the Beef House. I grew up going to the restaurant for special events or meetings with my parents. While it obviously has great, midwestern beef and some pretty legendary rolls and strawberry jam, it also has these amazing mushrooms. So amazing they only serve them in the evening. Which makes me sad because most of the time we go there midday on the weekends. But no longer will I bee without my mushrooms. My friend shared a recipe with me that pretty much captures the flavor. Perfectly. These mushrooms are mind blowingly good. If you like mushrooms that is.
Now you will want to make a lot of these puppies. Trust me. Start with four pounds of mushrooms, four cloves of garlic and a large sweet onion or two smaller ones. Clean your mushrooms, slice your onions and mince your garlic and put all into a large six or seven quart crock pot.
It is all about the fluid then. A cup of red wine, a cup of hot water, a pound of butter aka four sticks of butter, along with a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a teaspoon of dried herbs like dill or thyme, and four beef and four chicken bouillon cubes.
- 4 pounds of whole button mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion or two small/medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 pound of butter (4 sticks), melted - Make sure it is the real stuff
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dill or thyme or other herb
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- Place mushrooms, onions and garlic in a six or seven quart crock pot.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over top of the mushrooms.
- Slow cook on low for at least 12 hours.