One of the most popular recipes on Beyer Beware is Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza Casserole recipe. So, what was the first thing I made in Casserole Crock Pot Slow Cooker. The results, perfection. People, I don’t know if I love the recipe or the crock pot more.
I was tempted to not precook the pasta for this but before I start screwing with the recipes, I decided I should make it once the regular way. Especial since I was going to be using favorite gluten free pasta when I made it. Gluten free pasta can sometimes do weird things. So I made it very similar to the original recipe.
I started by frying up some bacon.
Now that I have your attention, let’s get the bacon crispy and then remove from the pan, drain all but about a tablespoon of bacon grease. While the bacon was frying, cut up four chicken breasts into cubes and coat and ranch dressing seasoning mix. You can use this ranch seasoning and salad dressing mix which should be able to be found in most grocery stores. I used my Penzey’s ranch dressing mix. Add the chicken to bacon grease reserved frying pan along with diced onions and peppers. I always have frozen onions and peppers on hand. It makes prepping casseroles like this go so much faster. Cook the chicken and veggies till the chicken is fully cooked.
While the chicken is cooking, it is time to transfer attention to the pasta. Like I said, I used gluten free pasta. Otherwise I would have used bow tie pasta. And yes, I have subscribe and save deliver my pasta to me each month. I didn’t cook the pasta fully. I cooked it to a little before al dente. In other words, if it says to cook 10-12 minutes, I cooked it about 8 minutes. Drained and returned to pot which was no longer over heat. Then stirred in the Alfredo Sauce, evaporated milk and 2% milk.
Now, it gets real. Start layering the ingredients by starting with half the pasta and sauce in the bottom of the crock pot.
Follow with half the chicken, onions and green peppers. Sprinkle with diced tomatoes and then one cup of Italian blend cheese. The repeat with the remaining pasta, chicken bacon, tomatoes, cheese, and then keep a little bit of bacon to top it off. Now, just cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours.
Did I mention the family loves this recipe? Even my non-chicken eating husband had two helpings. Yes, two helpings. But he did mention wanting to try it with sausage. Now, I have another idea for a casserole this week. This Casserole Crock Pot Slow Cooker is going to get the workout at our house. Be sure to get more recipes over at Recipes That Crock.
- 1 pound of bacon, fried and crumbled
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound of bow tie pasta, cooked 75% of the time
- 1, 15 ounce jar of Alfredo Sauce
- 1, 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ounce of ranch seasoning and salad dressing mix
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups Italian blend cheese
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces, coat with 1 - 1.5 tablespoons of ranch seasoning. Saute in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of bacon grease along with bell peppers and onion. Cook till chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine Alfredo sauce, evaporated milk and milk with the partially cooked pasta. Stir in one teaspoon of ranch seasoning.
- Begin layering casserole with half the pasta and sauce combination. Then layer ½ of each of the following chicken and tomatoes. Use ⅓ of the fried bacon. Spread 1 cup of cheese over top and repeat one more time.
- After the cheese the second time, cover with 1 cup of cheese and remaining bacon.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours till casserole cooked through and cheese is melted on top.